Looks good guruk. It's quite fast. I timed it.

fyi: The code I posted earlier can also work with input of xml tags
with attributes, such as

"Hello, this is a test <start attr1=\"value1\">12345</start> ..."

which is common with tags, and it also avoids raising the nasty
RuntimeException IndexOutOfBoundsException (by method substring) when
a tag is not in the given string, which can happen in my apps.
Exceptions such as these are normally not indicated by Eclipse Europa
because, being RuntimeException children, they do not require a throws
clause in the method signature when they are not caught by a try-catch
in the method. These things often are what makes the difference
between a 3-star and a 4-star rating.

For handling absent tags without having to manage the exception
downstream, I recommend the use of {if(xstart<0)return "";}

      String x1tag = "<" + xtag + ">";
      String x2tag = "</" + xtag + ">";
      int xstart = xhtml.indexOf(x1tag);
      if(xstart<0)return "";
      int x1len = x1tag.length();
      int xend = xhtml.indexOf(x2tag);
      if(xend<0)return "";
      return xhtml.substring(xstart + x1len, xend);

Or you could use a try-catch clause in the method if you know that the
exception will not occur frequently and you don't want to do anything
with the exception, and you want to keep going, such as:

    try{
      String x1tag = "<" + xtag + ">";
      String x2tag = "</" + xtag + ">";
      int xstart = xhtml.indexOf(x1tag);
      int x1len = x1tag.length();
      int xend = xhtml.indexOf(x2tag);
      return xhtml.substring(xstart + x1len, xend);
    }catch(Throwable resume){
      return "";
    }

regards,