Agreed!  simple layout is a lot more work (take a look at iPhone's
Interface Builder for how easy drag & drop can be)

Anyway, the above suggestions make sense.  Maybe another idea is to
try the "preview" you get in Eclipse, that way you will quickly see
your XML changes without having to run your app on the emulator.