Thanks for all your replies. I was so fed up!

Here is the layout xml. I did have the wrong (fill_parent) value in
layout_width.
That has solved that issue, thanks.

Also, the eclipse layout editor is such a great tool. It really helps
to see what you are doing before you try it in the emulator, as that
is such a long-winded process.

The problem I have now is that the first two columns are of equal
size, and the third is small - they all fit the screen size (which is
great) but they are not all the same size. This is also squeezing the
image in the third column.
Is there a way to resize the images so they are all the same size,
fitting the column?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"