I'm also very new to Android. And I would like to have the following -

1) I want to add and / or del any apps I want to - For this just any
phone would do it? Or I need an unlocked one?
2) I would also like to craft part of OS and / or base framework - For
this, Is it enough to have an unlocked phone ? I'm getting a T mobile
G1 unlocked, is it fine for (2)?

3) I think the emulator should allow us to test out various form
factors, since it might not be possible to buy and test all available
phones out there...

-pro