I thought of that solution too. But the problem is, that in a lot of
my code iterations, say, for example, following the tutorial at
http://activefrequency.com/blog/2009/ground-up-android-part-5-tweeting-and-debugging/,
I get a warning message from Android saying that it cannot push the
code to the emulator.

This appears to imply that if I really want to execute the just-built
code, I have to restart the emulator. On my machine, that causes me to
wait about 15S watching 'android', then about 30S watching the same
word in a funny font. Only then am I offered the opportunity to unlock
the phone via the menu key and finally, finally, see my app.

Or are you experienced developers so familiar with what code can be
pushed, and what cannot, that you can minimize changes that cannot be
pushed?