> > I thought about decoupling the movement from the framerate (speed =
> > pixels/second), but this
> > requires the use for floats, which make the calculation rather slow.
>
> In agameyou should never tie the speed of movement to the frame
> rate, because that will of course vary across different hardware.
> Even if we were doing a "google phone" and completely controlling the
> hardware, we'd want to release new hardware in the future that goes
> faster, and yourgamethen wouldn't work well with it.

There is no problem in using the frame rate for the movement speed. It
is still common in modern game programming where you define speed or
other physics based on frame rate (not real-time).

Just make sure that your game loop maintains a stabile frames-per-
second and having a maximum fps by using sleep on game thread. Even if
the new hardware is 5x faster, as long as you have maximum FPS, your
game will work fine.