Few tips I currently use :
If you want to clear all settings easiliy:
getSharedPreferences("...", MODE_PRIVATE).edit().clear().commit();
This method works well when:
* you don't have invisible settings, or you want them to be cleared
too.
* you have specified default values correctly in the xml file
describing the preferences.

If you want to restart your activity with a single line of code, with
the same extras as before:
startActivity(getIntent()); //provided you didn't modify the original
intent of course