Thanks, that is quite a bit more elegant than what I proposed.
(Hint to Google: the documentation for the clear() method on the
SharedPreferences.Editor says:
"Mark in the editor to remove *all* values from the preferences. Once commit
is called, the only remaining preferences will be any that you have defined
in this editor."
That is, IMHO, not exactly the same as saying that everything will be reset
to what is defined in the XML file... I would have assumed that by just
calling clear() it would result in all queries to the shared preferences
settings then returning that they are not set.)

(Apologies, this was first posted on the wrong thread)

Ludwig