Current states:

As of 1.6 Market allows installing updates to apps that already exist
pre-installed on the system image.  Currently however it does not know about
these apps until the user explicitly installs an update, so for the initial
case where the app only exists pre-installed it will not be listed as
downloaded nor will the user be told about updates.

In the future I know the market team is working on being able to discover
these pre-installed apps and prompt the user when there are updates, but I
don't know when that will appear.  (When it does, though, I think it should
eventually be available across all devices, since as of 1.6 Market can also
self-update itself.)

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Webnet Android
<webnet.andr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Are you sure about that? Because I had Google Maps pre-installed on my G1
>
> Not 100% sure now as it was a while ago I played with it, but this can
> be easily verified.
> Assuming you got rooted device put i.e. your old version of your app's
> APK in /system/apps
> or /data/apps and then launch Market to see if it will appear in and
> update will be offered
> (assuming newer one is on Market, of course :)
>
> As for Maps - I got a feeling that i.e. Milestone comes with number of
> preinstalled
> apps (incl. Maps) and there was no problem with the updates (Market app
> reported
> and downloaded w/o problem). Got no G1 to check that but it maybe some
> other
> factor too - maybe others will be more handy.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com

answer them.