I think there may be more than technical reasons at work here, but I
agree, stock Android should allow removing built-in apps, with the
exception of the Market itself.  For example, I use GMail and never
use the "normal" E-Mail client, but I have to look at its icon every
time I search for an app.  Of course, the stock apps then should be
made available on the Market so that the phone could be restored to
its original state.