At AndAppStore we've had the same license server technologies in place
for over a year, we just haven't had the LVL wrapper around it (see
http://bit.ly/dbniJP for a post from April last year about it). We
offered the implementation we developed in early 2009 which uses RSA
secured licenses to Google as a starting point for a unified solution
which all app stores could make use of in late march/early april 2009
and got a thanks but no thanks from the Market team via a member of
the Android team (as I mentioned last August http://bit.ly/d9Deoi).

So you can imagine we're, well, more than a little niggled to see the
same technologies used in the same way with the LVL wrapper around it
rolled out as a Market only proprietary solution. If you combine that
with the fact that details of how to use the original Google copy
protection system weren't given to 3rd parties in order to either use
or implement a compatible solution, I think you've got a pretty clear
sign of how Google view alternative markets.

My initial thought is just to roll a compatibility library as a drop
in replacement for Googles LVL so developers could compile a version
to use the AndAppStore system if they wanted to sell on AndAppStore.
Because the Google system uses the same crypto-secured design as
AndAppStores existing solution it'd take less than a day to create, so
my only question is if we did it would developers use it?

As a side note; The main reason we didn't use our client as the
marshall for license queries is because we can't guarantee it's on
every device, and neither can Market. This is particularly important
with Market because users of devices where it isn't installed may only
be able to get access to many paid apps via pirated copies (if the
developers don't list on alternative markets). If you're thinking
that's a small market then, well, compared with Android 'phones then
yes, you may be talking a few percent, but in terms of numbers you're
looking at tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of devices.

Al.

--

* Looking for Android Apps? - Try http://andappstore.com/ *

======