It's not a feature of the language, nor of Android, it's just part of
any sane Java compiler. I have yet to come across one that doesn't do
it. The Sun (Oracle) Java compiler in particular does it. The Eclipse
compiler does it as well. You can test for yourself with your compiler
by compiling a simple class like this one:

class Test {
  private static final boolean DEBUG = false;

  public void foo() {
    if (DEBUG) System.out.println("Debug mode");
    System.out.println("Normal mode");
  }
}

Then decompile it using javap -c Test:

class Test extends java.lang.Object{
Test();
  Code:
   0:   aload_0
   1:   invokespecial   #1; //Method java/lang/Object."<init>":()V
   4:   return

public void foo();
  Code:
   0:   getstatic       #2; //Field java/lang/System.out:Ljava/io/PrintStream;
   3:   ldc     #3; //String Normal mode
   5:   invokevirtual   #4; //Method
java/io/PrintStream.println:(Ljava/lang/String;)V
   8:   return
}

You can see that the if (DEBUG) statement was not compiled in the
foo() method. If you were to compile with DEBUG set to true, you'd see
that the call to System.out.println is compiled, but the if is not.