As can be discovered by using the built in camera (no need to look at
the source code), it always uses landscape mode, even when the
keyboard is closed and the home screen and most other apps are in
portrait mode.
I've tried using CameraPreview in portrait, found the same issue as
jarkman and apkdev, and decided to see what the built-in camera did,
which is to simply force landscape mode. So I decided to do the same.
I would guess that it's possible to somewhat manually rotate the
image, using a view- or image-related class, but I don't think there's
anything like that in the camera-related classes.