Actually I have LOGGING all over the place.

I was able to determine that the SMS Receiver is actually getting
called ... but it has trouble doing the NM.Notify();  (I'm still
trying to decode what *that* error is all about...)

And I have Thread.sleep(lots-o'seconds) and Thread.yeild() in the
runnable so I am being careful regarding your concerns.

What I would REALLY like to do is a startActivity() from inside the
Receiver...   but I don't suppose that's possible? (In my first timid
attempts to do that awhile ago I could not get it to compile, I think
the "extends BroadcastReceiever" makes the compiler not understand
what startActivity() means.)