Bret,

Specific case:
File myFile = android.os.Enviornment.getExternalStorageDirectory;
String strPath = myFile.toString();

The code above is the work around for an expected update that changed
the path to the external SDcard storage. This list and
developer.android.com documentation gave warning that reference to the
external storage should not be hard coded like "/sdcard/Android/
data/..." (2.2 path is something like "/mtd/Android/data/...") and
that the listed code should be used. I followed the advice and avoided
any problems.

I also am new to Android. The os, java, Eclipse, the toolkit, the
documentation, and this list are all very good and have helped me a
lot.

But I was surprised that Verizon updated my os without warning or
consent. They did notify me after the fact. I am just wondering if
this is common or unusual. (Maybe I am just too cautious because of my
previous experiences. I would consider it quite a calamity if
Microsoft updated my XP's to Vistas.)

Happy coding, John Brown