That whole example is trivial and is missing alot of boiler plate.
Because it is a trivial task
Good news!  Post the code when you're done...
There already exists several android game engines for this task such
as: http://www.andengine.org/
Google already provides GLSurfaceView to handle lifecycle changes.
Even using the native android widgets along your game is trivial using
GLSurfaceView.
GLSurfaceView, the last time I check, handles nothing as far a lifecylce is
concerned.  It gives you callbacks when you loose your surface.  Big deal,
so does SurfaceHolder.
Didn't you look at andengine?
I am sure it's great but I have my own code. Actually why do you need a 2D OGL engine if it's such a trivial task?

My assertion stands that GLSurfaceView does nothing to handle Activity Lifecycle. On BlackBerry when you loose focus and have been put into the background, the OS handles it. GLSurfaceView just lets you know you're context is dead and it's up to you to rebuild it all. So what is it handling that a regular SurfaceHolder isn't?
GLSurfaceView is just like a view, you don't ever handle lifecycle
changes from a view point of view so it removes that burden from the
pictures.  You handle this from your activity.
Changing your view port is ridiculously easy if you detect the view
size has changed.

Shouldn't take you more than a day or so to make your own engine and
build your game around it without any bloat and learning something in
the process.
I think you're missing the point.  I also think you are clearly under
estimating the time invloved.  I have done both BTW.
I've done this, I wrote a complete game prototype in a week.  It was
really easy.  You really have to be an incompetent programmer if you
don't write code that handles things such as different screen sizes
automatically.
No need to throw stones :) I have worked on many games thank you, 8 of which shipped. Screen size isn't the issue.

People, this is just a request.  It would only make the platform better.
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Leigh McRae