Drawing a Bitmap using OpenGL is fairly trivial.  (Granted they're power of 2.)
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3553244/android-opengl-es-and-2d/3648054#3648054)

There already exists several android game engines for this task such
as: http://www.andengine.org/
Google already provides GLSurfaceView to handle lifecycle changes.
Even using the native android widgets along your game is trivial using
GLSurfaceView.

Shouldn't take you more than a day or so to make your own engine and
build your game around it without any bloat and learning something in
the process.

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,
http://diastrofunk.com,