Not to beat a tired horse here, but I thought it might make sense to
explain the genesis of this post.

When we released the License Validator Library, we added the strong
suggestion that developers apply Proguard or some other obfuscator to
their builds when they make use of it. However, we didn't provide any
tools or samples to help the application developers solve this
problem.  Several applications were released to Market that make use
of the LVL without applying an obfuscator or adding any additional
form of protection.

One of the developers that I was working with couldn't figure out how
to get Proguard working with the LVL because of two reasons:

The first reason is that the LVL makes use of enums, which can cause
problems when obfuscated in ways that aren't entirely obvious.  The
second reason is that binder interfaces will get obfuscated away by
default, and LVL makes use of them as well.

I developed a script that would work reliably with the two existing
sets of Ant rules that were available, but had to replicate some code
from them because there were no hooks to implement this sort of
functionality "correctly" within our old ant rules files.  Also, there
were slight changes between what had to be done for rules and
rules_v2. Rather than release this hack into the ecosystem, we decided
to use it as a good teaching example for the new empty Ant tasks that
we were already planning to add to the SDK tools, which would also
unify the rules for building against all platform revisions.

In the long run, we know we can do better and will make better tools
that automate this and other tasks, but felt that there was enough
value to release this into the ecosystem and help developers now
rather than months from now.

Not every app will reap significant benefits through obfuscation; This
is not an attempt by Google to suggest that all developers begin
adding Proguard to their builds.  We just want to provide help and
support so that other developers don't have to spend long nights
figuring these sorts of problems out as I did.

Dan

-
Dan Galpin
Developer Advocate
Google, Inc.
-
If you actually want answers to your questions, it's far better to
post them here, because the collective brain of this forum far exceeds
my own.
-