On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM, John <jhn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In particular, I would appreciate if Mark Murphy will elaborate on his
> suggestions about FLAG_ACTIVITY_REORDER_TO_FRONT.

That was more aimed at your "bug #2".

If I understand your steps correctly -- particularly after your
clarifications to Kumar -- "bug #1" may be related to this:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2373

> As I understood from other posts, people suggest to create some other
> dummy activity to be launched by OS
> and then launch the main GUI activity programmatically.

I am assuming you are referring to stuff like this:

https://github.com/cleverua/android_startup_activity

...which, since it requires GET_TASKS, is a bit scary.

> But I am not
> sure whether that would be the best solution for this so common
> problem.

It probably isn't. However, the bug has been outstanding for quite
some time. While repeatable, it does not occur in too many places --
most people would encounter it after upgrading the app, as I
understand it. There might be a better approach, using
ACTION_PACKAGE_REPLACED, but I haven't tried thinking it through.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in Atlanta: http://bignerdranch.com/classes/android