On Nov 14, 4:20 am, nt94043 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 8:13 pm, "Dan Pou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I just had success by adding root.
>
> > I added the udev rule, restarted udev, killed existing server, sudo ./adb
> > devices.
>
> Ok, I didn't know what you mean by "adding root", but this gave me a
> clue that got things working, sort of:
> If I kill the server (adb kill-server) and then run one "adb devices"
> query as root, it starts up the server as root and from then on, until
> I kill the server again, I can run "adb devices" as a normal user and
> it seems to communicate with the root-level process via a socket to do
> its business.
>
> Someone at Android:  This is wrong, right?  Please tell me you don't
> actually expect me to run this dev tool as root.  Give me proper
> documentation about what it needs permissions to and I'll be happy to
> set it all up, but I'm not planning to run it as root.

Try creating a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules and
plugging the following line into it:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

Reload udev's configuration (/etc/init.d/udev reload) and try again as
a normal user.

This is on an Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) installation (64-bit). Works
fine here after that change. Presumably (given the idVendor tag) this
will only work for the G1.