After I  insert the USB cable, there is three options “1. Connect your
phone. 2. Install PC Companion. 3. Charge phone.” No matter which
option I have selected, the app will just freeze without any message.

When I press the power key to go to power save mode and then press it
again to resume the application, the app will just freeze without any
message.

I test by doing lots of screen orientation changes, like you
recommended.But I can not replicate the freezing problem on my Samsung
galaxy. I don't have the SonyEricsson X10 and X8 devices to test on. I
try to simulate a power key press on the emulator, by pressing the
power button. I debug and onKeyDown is called, but onpause() and
onResume() is not called.
Doesn't onpause() and onResume() get called when the power key is
pressed? I can not simulate insertion of a USB cable on the emulator.

My onStart method only call the superclass, so I don't see how an
exception could be raised here. My onResume method also sets the
graphics thread to setRunning(false), which means that the thread will
continue, but it will not
execute the drawing loop.