Brian,

Out of my last 80 sales for FRG Deluxe, 2 were declined and 8 were
canceled.  I recently lowered the price for the holidays from $3 to
$0.99; before December my refund rate was about 15%.  Having played
Doodle Bike and some of your competitors' games (MX Moto, Moto X
Mayhem), I think there is room for improvement in Doodle Bike.  For
example, I get hopelessly stuck on the 2nd level of Doodle Bike
(Lite).  If I had paid any amount of money to get stuck at level 2,
I'd refund.  I'm not fond of MX Moto for the same reason but atleast I
get a funny rag doll animation when I smash my rider into the ground.
I haven't played Moto X Mayhem since ADC2 but I recall being able to
get reasonably far and enjoying it more than most games in ADC2.  The
polish of the game back then was really good and smashing the rag doll
into the ground got a bizarre amount of amusement from me.

Maybe I just suck at these games - it's challenge enough for me to
keep the bike steady when making jumps.  Please note that not
everybody understands the idioms of your game and that you are less
qualified to judge difficulty because you are an expert at playing
your own game.  For FRG I periodically gave the game to my wife and
watched as she played.  I used her as a baseline for how long a
neophyte takes to finish levels.  For the record she does play a lot
of games (married her for a reason!) but FRG is a genre she has little
experience with.  I also used my ability to play FRG as an indicator
of an expert's experience.

Given user feedback, I've also made the targeting system simpler and
easier over time.  FRG with multitouch sticks or auto-targeting (for
single-touch users) makes me godlike at my own game but for other
players, may be the difference between sticking with the game and
uninstalling/refunding out of frustration.

Phil, 50% refunds would make me worry a lot if it were my game.

  Ernest Woo
  Woo Games
  http://www.woogames.com