On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Scott Deutsch <surger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First question is. is it better to store the apps video as a resource on the
> phone?

I've heard of a lot of people having problems playing videos stored as
resources. I haven't tried it myself, since IMHO shipping videos in
the APK is just plain too big.

> If yes, what format would you recommend.

You don't exactly have a ton of options:

http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

> Or, would it be better to
> store the videos on a web server and stream the videos to the app when
> requested.

Well, the third option is you download the videos to external storage
at some point in time. Either that or streaming will be preferable to
storing them as raw resources, IMHO.

> My app is going to have lots of video's eventually.

All the more reason why you can't have them as resources, since
there's a 50MB APK size limit for distribution through the Android
Market, and having APKs that big anyway will be a problem for a lot of
Android users on 1+ year old phones.

> Now, if it is better to store them on the cloud/interwebs, how do you do
> streaming video with the MediaPlayer class.

Hand it an RTSP or HTTP URL instead of a local file path. Make sure
the video is "safe for streaming" (for MP4 files, that means the MOOV
atom appears before the first MDAT atom, which you can accomplish via
MP4Box -hint).

> Either way, where are good tutorials on doing anyone of these solutions. I
> already have the MediaPlayer class in my app and it works for playing local
> stuff. I just have to make it work for streaming vids.

Hand it an RTSP or HTTP URL instead of a local file path, and you're done.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.4 Available!