On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Bob Kerns <r...@acm.org> wrote:
> While I (strongly) agree with this advice -- there is a major
> downside. If you copy it into your application, and the platform
> changes (an update, a manufacturer customization, etc.), then your
> application's look-and-feel (including terminology) will vary from the
> platform standard. And, in the case up upgrades, older apps will vary
> from newer ones. The result is the user experience is less cohesive.

FWIW, Google's recommendation is to aim for internal consistency
first, then platform fidelity.

Strings are particularly pernicious. For example, I seem to recall
that the platform definition of the "yes" string is "Set", due to some
screwball decision. If OEMs do that, then your app may be flat out
wrong on some devices, with incorrect prompts, messages, or whatever
the strings are used for.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in London: http://bit.ly/smand1 and http://bit.ly/smand2