I am starting the app from the view where all the other applications
are placed, whatever is called.
And even if it displays the icon, it says that the application is not
installed.
Then if I go in :
Settings -> Application settings -> manage applications
my app appears there as installed.

Honestly I think we are chasing the problem in the wrong path: even
installing from SD card it is perfectly fine, indeed that was the only
option I had when I purchased the mobile phone, as it was sim locked
with developer options disabled.
Then I unlock it and changed OS version (now running 2.2) and I can do
the installation in the way you suggest and mostly important the
device debugging.

But the reason for which the application starts while debugging from
eclipse and doesn't when installed is still a mystery.

I wonder if it is due to the signature somehow, but again I am using
same key + password + alias than before....
and the error message should be different.

Thanks anyway!