Hi there,

I would need your help to clarify what is the priority
of a process hosting a Service when the service is
either started (startService() ) or bound (bindService()):

When the Service is started, the Android doc is quite clear saying:
"If the service has been started, then its hosting process is
considered to be less important than any processes that are currently
visible to the user on-screen, but more important than any process not
visible."
=> it means that the process is ranked as "Service process" level (Cf.
Processes and Threads android doc)
As far as i understand, this priority level should warrant us the
process will only be killed in a very
constraining RAM configuration, and makes it suitable for long time
running background thread..
Is my understanding correct?

My concern deals with the bound case..
Android doc says:
"If there are clients bound to the service, then the service's hosting
process is never less important than the most important client. That
is, if one of its clients is visible to the user, then the service
itself is considered to be visible. "
So if my most important client gets stopped and goes in the background
(or even worse, is destroyed), the Service process is then ranked in
the same way?? It would then mean that it does
not keep ranked as "Service process" level (started case) and will be
about to be destroyed by
the system at any time..
So what the point of launching a background thread in a bound
Service?? What's the difference between a simple thread launching from
an Activity?

Am i missing a point? Any comments?
Thanks..

Pedro