Cory, you and I have basically done the same thing.  I think an upgrade to
this approach is being suggested by TreKing and Kostya, which is, simply
using the delegation, but ditching the base classes.  That way, if we need
different delegates we can pick and choose on the fly as necessary.  A
little more mental maintenance perhaps, but less dependencies on base
implementations, and more flexibility.