I do the same. We developed a bunch of activities and as soon as code
duplication reared its ugly head, we started to create an Activity subclass
to avoid code duplication. If you can use delegation, try that instead.

Strings.xml:
If a string is sensitive to locale/language, put it into a strings.xml
file.
If a string is both referenced in your Java code and in other resources
files (xml files), put it into a strings.xml file.

View ids:
IDs can be shared between different layouts. Sometimes it is even
beneficial, e.g. when you have various list-item layouts that all have a
TextView with the same ID. Makes your 'getView' implementation of you
adapter much easier.