Chris, yes, I said exactly that, but you got it completely wrong. My
understanding of "good initial design" Dan was referring to, was
software which can live for the next 30 years or something like that
(those are the words he used, he can correct me if he was trying to
mean anything else). I definitely wouldn't pay a penny to a software
which has been "designed" to live for the next 30 years. Talking about
houses, cars etc. you are mixing apples with oranges. The waterfall
model of software development is based on the experiences from such
industries. Even though waterfall could be a good approach for
developing software for avionics for example, in consumer electronics
it doesn't work. If you don't take the iterative approach to
developing software (short release cycles etc), you are out of
business from day one, because most probably you are developing things
that customers are not willing to pay. Iterative approach to software
development might seem as lack of "good initial design" to some
people, but I'm not aware of a better alternative. That's what I was
referring to and it never occurred to me that we were discussing
building houses or cars in this platform.