From: android-developers@googlegroups.com
[mailto:android-developers@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Ali Chousein
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:14 PM
To: Android Developers
Subject: [android-developers] Re: Career as an Andoid developer. Is there
any point?

Chris, yes, I said exactly that, but you got it completely wrong. My
understanding of "good initial design" Dan was referring to, was software
which can live for the next 30 years or something like that (those are the
words he used, he can correct me if he was trying to mean anything else). I
definitely wouldn't pay a penny to a software which has been "designed" to
live for the next 30 years. Talking about houses, cars etc. you are mixing
apples with oranges. The waterfall model of software development is based on
the experiences from such industries. Even though waterfall could be a good
approach for developing software for avionics for example, in consumer
electronics it doesn't work. If you don't take the iterative approach to
developing software (short release cycles etc), you are out of business from
day one, because most probably you are developing things that customers are
not willing to pay. Iterative approach to software development might seem as
lack of "good initial design" to some people, but I'm not aware of a better
alternative. That's what I was referring to and it never occurred to me that
we were discussing building houses or cars in this platform.

On May 26, 3:33 am, "Christopher Van Kirk"
<christopher.vank...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry, did you actually just say "If you say 'it doesn't have good
> initial design', I would consider that as a plus instead of shortcoming"?
>
> Really?
>
> Are you also in the habit of purchasing houses with bad foundations,
> cars with broken chasses, and work animals with broken backs?
>
> I've heard some crazy statements in my day, but this one has to be
> near the top of the list.

because I have better faith in teams which work agile, instead of waterfall.