On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Spiderfly Studios
<spiderflystud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's with all the rude replies?

Sorry if you feel it's rude, nothing personal. It just that I find refusing to
do your own research/work and just looking for ready made solutions
annoying.

> I was vey clear what I was looking for
> from the beginning.  I'm not looking to steal someone else's hacky code.

Nobody suggested stealing.

> As I stated I was looking for an official, legit way of getting the info.
> And it isn't as easy as just taking out a couple lines of HTML an pasting it
> into my site.  If a site is using a custom script and php code to generate
> and display the star ratings, then when you view the page source you will
> not see that custom script and code.  All you will see is standard HTML for
> that particular moment.  Which would do no good if you want to keep the info
> always updated.  You guys keep stating how easy it is to just scrape the
> info.

Obviously you don't understand what 'scraping' means, and that's probably
one of the reasons for the misunderstanding. Google it. Here's a basic
scraping recipe (no code, sorry):

1. get the web page with your favorite tool (wget, curl, your
favorite scripting language's HTTP library).
2. parse it regular expressions or some sort of html parser to get the
data you need. throw out the rest.
3. save to file/database/post on the web
4. repeat periodically to update data
(5. fix the script if the web page's format changes)

> If it is so easy, then why haven't any of you shared an example here
> several replies ago?  This conversation would have ended a long time ago.

See above.