2)I guess there is no guarantee. To be certain of the font
availability, considering .ttf file size, it should be better for you
to include desired font inside /assets directory, and then load it
with something like this:

public void setFont(TextView in){
                Typeface font = Typeface.createFromAsset(contx.getAssets(),
"YourFontName.ttf");
                in.setTypeface(font);
        }

3) it will draw another 'special char', like ? or #. You'll have to
test it extensively.