Even Google knows it's NOT ALL developers.

Here's their (canned) response:

"...We're aware of reports from SOME developers that they see no
change, or have a value of 0 (zero), in the active install number
displayed in developer console..."

The highlight is mine.  Some != All and it's not even the majority --
of course, that's assuming that they are not flat out lying.

There is no way that the usage patterns of my app would be
significantly different from my competitors'.  I serisously feel like
you are giving way too much credit to Google in your thinking that the
ranking formula is somehow super-complicated...