On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Jim Graham <spooky1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So basically, your answer is that there is no best time....that there
> is always someone around somewhere, and weekends vs weekends vs holidays
> become irrelevant?  Or did I read your response incorrectly?

I'll be stunned if anyone has done a decent study.

We know some heuristics about when to post on eBay because some people
post thousands of listings a week, and therefore have enough data
themselves to draw conclusions. The only similar people in Android-dom
are not very nice. When you have 1-2 apps and ship updates every 1-2
months, it takes years to get enough data, and that assumes you were
collecting the data in the first place and ignores the impact of a
changing audience during those years.

Google could publish the results of a study, but it would run afoul of
the Heisenmarket Uncertainty Principle (if you are big enough to learn
something about a market you run and you talk about it, talking about
it changes the behavior of your market and may obviate what you
learned).

I don't think that the pirated Android Market feed has enough
granularity in download counts for a third party to be able to do a
decent study, except perhaps for new apps, where there may be rapid
movement through some of the smaller/earlier download count buckets.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to *Advanced* Android Development_ Version 2.0
Available!