Owned a commodity (j2me) tmobile phone recently? Non-tmobile-sourced j2me
apps (unsigned, for those playing along at home, and tmob holds the keys)
are prevented from accessing the net. (Right. No gmail.jad, no gmaps, no
im+, nothing more connected than solitare.)  Even non-subsidized versions
are sold that way.

(And .. um.. not to point out the obvious.. but remind me how many places
can sell iphone apps these days?)

Tmobile and other carriers get the majority of the 'missing' money (although
if you put me on the spot by asking for my reference I'd have to do some
more digging to find it again.)

And the various non-compete clauses are similar - what good is it to claim
20% for the carrier if devs just use a paypal link instead? All the "work"
(and I'll admit they don't seem to have done much.. esp comments..) and none
of the reward. (Same reasoning applies to not listing alternative markets.)

Is it unpleasant? Sure, in some ways. But its not some evil plot, its simply
the passed-on cost of being shipped on a device. (I'd maintain that,
personally, the $25 pay-to-play is more unpleasant, even though its
potentially - hopefully? - less money overall. Esp when used as a gatekeeper
on the list of ADP1 shipping prices. But that's just me..)