On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Disconnect <dc.disconn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How many payment accounts would you like the average developer to register
> for?

This could still have one centralized payment to developers. I'm talking
about billing the user through carrier systems
.

> So far we have announcements/releases from T-mobile (in multiple countries,
> so multiplied out), and Sprint, but hardware coming from 7 different vendors
> (including Kogan and HTC, not including moko).  So that sounds like at least
> 5-7 different carriers, in a dozen or more countries.  [ref:wikipedia, so
> take it with however much salt you like..]

One Android market on 5-7 different carriers, all controlled by Google, all
billing handled by Google. I'd call that control of the mobile content
distribution channel.

> Apple solved this the easy way - sign up to get paid through their existing
> iTunes distribution channels, and you can sell in various markets.  How
> would you have google solve this if they were using the potentially-dozens
> of carrier systems?  (Yes, right now they are country-limited. And thats a
> PITA. But their stated goal still seems to be centralized worldwide sales..)

There are many aggregator services that do this. And I'm pretty sure that
hooking into carrier systems (and I know carriers are a pain to deal with)
would have been easier than trying to roll out your own global billing
system. And from a user's perspective, they wouldn't have had to enter in
any credit card info, much easier for them as well.

Shane