Right, I see. No, the path option doesn't make a difference, it still
offers me a choice of apps to open with.

Ok, it's the other approach that I'm struggling to find an example
for. Just lots of messages discussing it! The appears to be an example
on the following page, but it simply doesn't work for me:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2430045/how-to-register-some-url-namespace-myapp-app-start-for-accessing-your-progr/2430468#2430468