Well this is what I found out -

first time the activity is launched the camera goes into preview mode,
snaps a pic,
stores the pic and then tries to get into preview mode again. I
removed the last
step and still the pic is taken and it stays stuck on the screen. I
realized that
the camera service usually will ask the user if he/she wants to save
the pic. Either
way it then returns to the preview mode. In the case of my app it is
supposed to snap
the pic, save it and return to preview. This exact code works on teh
G1 but on the
LG after the pic is snapped it remains on the screen.

Would the camera service be different across Froyo-based mobiles? I
wouldn't thjnk
so ...