On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 02:36:46PM +0000, Fred Niggle wrote:
> May i suggest that if your set on doing this then you'll need to
> explore solar charging.

He's already said that solar isn't an option because of the environment.
If that's true, then solar is ruled out.  The gell cells I suggested can
do the job (but it might take a LOT of gell cells, depending on the load
and the duration required).

I would also look into any other source of energy available (flowing
water, wind, etc.), to provide at least SOME amount of re-charge for
the gell cells (or whatever).

I also suggest doing some research on SCADA (Systems Control And
Data Acquisition) systems and how they're powered in hostile
environments.  This is not a new problem...power companies, companies
with oil and gas pipelines, telcos and IXCs with remote (and unmanned)
sites, etc., all use SCADA systems to remotely monitor those sites.

Just google on "SCADA" and you should find either your answer or more
resources from which you can find your answer (might be books, journals,
corporate contacts, or detailed examples).  Hell, you might even find
a paper I wrote on this subject a long time ago while I was in college
getting my degree in electronics/telecom (I seriously doubt it, though).

Later,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >

   "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
               --Mal (Firefly, 1x03, Our Mrs. Reynolds)

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html