Thanks.

I did create a contentProvider with a single asset file.

I also tried  ParcelFileDescriptor

@Override
public ParcelFileDescriptor openFile(Uri uri, String mode) throws
FileNotFoundException{
ParcelFileDescriptor parcel = ParcelFileDescriptor.open(file,
ParcelFileDescriptor.MODE_READ_ONLY);
return parcel;
}

but  could not make it work. Then thought just making a regular app
would be less tricky.
Now I do have the app which WRITES a worldReadable file that I can
read from my other app.
But there is that extra step I am trying to avoid.

I understand reading the asset file may be impossible.

Would it be easier if I read a raw file?

Or should I definitely go back to making a content provider and try to
read its asset?

Thank you very muchfor your help.