On 3/22/2012 11:25 AM, Michael Sims wrote:
Android + Maven + Eclipse is definitely possible, but speaking from
experience, it's painful.  Tedious to get working, builds are very
very slow and fragile.  You can do it, but it'll hurt.

I think I had the pain part figured out ;) Slow, I wasn't too sure of and fragile is my concern that I will add some feature and hopelessly break the build.

For what it's worth, IntelliJ + Android + Maven works wonderfully.
Because I was working on a largish Android app that was built with
Maven, I switched to IntelliJ CE and I've been a very happy camper
since then.  Everything supported out of the box (no plugins to
install), everything cooperates, and the build is fast and stable.
Switching IDEs is a big deal though, but if you really like Maven, I
personally believe that is your best option....

Since this is only my project and one with the goal of learning the platform, at least trying IntelliJ won't be that big of a deal. I thought it was commercial, but looking at the page, I think the free community edition would be sufficient to get a feel for the platform. I was concerned that if I really wanted maven support that I would have to revert to the command line and emacs.