On Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:22:57 PM UTC-7, Zsolt Vasvari wrote:

> I think you just need to stop calling the SD Card and call it "External
> storage" or something.

It's really irrelevant what *I* call it. I can't control what the users
call it, or even what the manufacturers call it.

>  If it's not on the SD card, why do you care?

I don't. But you've missed most of this thread, and that is the wrong
question. The question is why do my customers care? They do. I get at least
two inquiries a week, and more before I gave them this capability to
switch.

I think they care because they use my app to create a large (think several
gigabytes) set of files. I don't force them to do this; they can choose to
create a much smaller set of files. Not every app will this matter so much;
but I'm not the only one.

I think they care about this being the storage volume with the most space.
They don't care as much which one is a card or internal storage, and they
certainly don't care which volume is returned by
GetExternalStorageDirectory, because they don't know.

I did try leaving it at getExternalStorageDirectory(), and that still is
the default.

Then, after getting floods of questions about "why dont you . . ", I
allowed people to set the path manually.
Then, I would get questions, because noone knows what path to try and I
don't either.
But more recently, I am getting people who have made it through the arduous
process of finding that path and it still doesn't work. Other apps can
write there, the PC can write there, but I can't.

...And I am not exaggerating at all that they have become frustrated enough
to buy an iphone/ipad.

This is more a technical support issue than a programming question - unless
there is a programming solution. At the least, I'd like to have a page of
information for these people that says try this, then try this, and if it
still doesn't work, talk to your manufacturer because I can only work on
issues I can actually do something about.

I'm just hoping for:

   1. Ideas on helping users find their storage location. The environment
   variables mentioned in this thread might help.
   2. Ideas on why or how often devices are locking out storage locations
   to third party apps, and is that coming from the manufacturer, the Android
   platform, or both?

It appears that no one on this forum has more insight into number 2. Darn.

Nathan