On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:11:35 PM UTC-7, Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
wrote:

> What about debugging an app running on an Android device
> > with ADK accessory connected - it's not even possible to connect adb to
> it
> > now, is it?
>
> Use a ROM that enables adb over WiFi, or hope they add that to
> standard builds someday (last I checked, it only worked with Google
> TV).

See, here's the problem - I'm not a commercial developer. I just don't have
time for this - I barely have enough time to get the Open Source project
I'm working on where it needs to be. It's a hassle that can be easily
avoided - something tells me that *one* application that captures log
output, and which has to be specifically installed on a device, won't be a
security problem, or at least will significantly alleviate it. And if
Google wants to release it, I'm sure they have enough manpower to make it
happen.

Or, oh horror, we can get a mechanism to selectively grant permissions
(which has been an outstanding issue for quite a while now, with no
resolution in sight).

Can *I* do it? I think I probably can, though it is a major hassle and loss
of time, 'cause this is just not what I normally do.
Can a newbie do it? Well, I guess that'll be a showstopper for quite a lot
of them.

This issue is an obstacle - as usual, there's a tradeoff between security
and convenience. It's just it's too skewed away from convenience this time.

Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

--vt