On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Bryan  Ashby <nuskoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent, thank you.
>
> Google: Would still love to hear more about the possible future of these
> sorts of (needed!) apps...

I honestly don't see what you expect to be said.

The Android team has never released their plans for APIs until they
are actually stable.  It's sort of risky to promise things that might
not materialize.  While I agree this sort of functionality is useful,
I personally do *not* believe it belongs in Android.

I do believe, however, that it belongs in vendor specific mods, that
have custom apps.

Why?  Because vanilla Android shouldn't be tasked with these kinds of
extensions (personal opinion, mostly..).

It's hard to design these kinds of things, because for many people
this might be considered bloatware.  I agree that it's a useful
feature, no doubt, but I believe that it doesn't believe at the app
level (no app should be able to modify the system behavior, seems to
be an Android maxim at this point!), and not in the vanilla system
either.

This seems like something that has a lot of design decisions
associated with it, and for Google to maintain it would be very hectic
logistically.  I suspect that it's not completely implausible that
this will eventually appear in vanilla Android, but I find it somewhat
unlikely, just based off of the kinds of decisions I've seen made in
the platform to date.

kris