Google has certainly posted "we're working on it" type hints on *many* issues
/ upcoming features. Dates no, but it would be good to know if this is
being looked at.

I certainly disagree that this does not belong in Android. Here a few
reasons why (minimized):

   - There is a huge demand for "Parental Control" type management on
   Android. Many parents buy Android devices for their young children and
   teenagers and wish for some control and visibility vs "letting them loose"
   with the device. The company I work for has sold many devices pre-bundled
   with this functionality and I know from experience that many people simply
   will not buy an Android device (or any other ecosystem) that does not
   support/have this functionality.
   - Take a look at the hundreds (more?) of "App Lock" and "Parental
   Control" type applications that currently exist on Android right now. All
   of these applications are in high demand and all of them are currently
   using hacks of various sorts for implementation. Many even requiring
   rooting the device.
   - Android is already fragmented. What works on one device may not work
   on another. I'm fine with that personally and love the diversity. However,
   the general API set you can mostly rely on. Having each vendor create an
   API for this kind of functionality would be an absolute nightmare.
   - In general, yes, applications should absolutely be sandboxed. And I
   actually agree with the removal of READ_LOGS from a security standpoint due
   to the amount of data most applications dump into logcat -- who knows what
   goodies I could scrape from there. However, there should be exceptions to
   the "control" portion of this rule as long as the user / device admin
   authorizes it.

As far as it being hard to maintain, I'm not seeing it. Start out with a
few simplistic hooks for the common cases and go from there. Some of the
hooks (e.g. IActivityWatcher or IProcessObserver) are/were already
semi-present in the system as non-public and locked down APIs. What's
needed is a good system for allowing device administrators to allow certain
applications to use similar API sets.

I think at this point I may develop some customization's to Android myself,
submit them, and hope for the best. I'm confident this can
be implemented in a secure & user friendly manor. What I don't want it to
waste my time if someone at Google is already doing it.