Thanks Richard. Setting the focus to Camera.Parameters.FOCUS_MODE_INFINITY
helped as shown in the added histogram at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11727240/how-to-reduce-the-variability-in-android-camera-shutter-lag

At the risk of sounding like an ingrate, do you have any ideas on how to
reduce the variability even more? (A range of 0.2 s still covers a large
portion of the periodic motion.)

-- Greg