On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM, William Ferguson
<william.ferguson...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > the Google Play services seems half implemented to me :-(
>>
>> AFAIK, it is not available yet, are you referring to the docs?
>>
>> https://developers.google.com/android/google-play-services/
>

> No. Perhaps I misunderstood one of the GoogleIO sessions. They were
> referring to in-app billing and Google Play Services in the same breath. It
> appeared to be a rebranding of billing as Google Play Services. I was
> actually referring to in-app billing. The example is all locally hosted, but
> the doco in the example keeps reminding you that sections of this should be
> hosted on your own server (eg signature verification and management of
> unmanaged items), but as soon as you try the 2nd of those you run into this
> exact question of user identity. SO it kind of looks half baked to me. I was
> expecting the purchased event to contain some kind of user identity as well
> as transaction identity.

I see. In that case, yes, the IAB API is both clunky and missing obvious things
(like getting a list of items and their prices so you can display it
in your app,
among other things). It's been over a year now, and all that has changed is
the addition of subscriptions. Not sure if we can expect improvement...

> Hmm ..
> I also couldn't see from the details that using Google Play Services
> requires any extra permissions.

It probably connects to the Play Client via IPC like the current billing
service, which has practically all possible permissions.

> It doesn't seem to have an account chooser, but that doesn't mean that the
> user will choose the same account with which they made the purchase. And it
> would seem weird anyway, since they just selected their account when making
> a purchase and now I'll have to ask them to select their account again?

You only need to have them choose once and you can cache it, but not too
user friendly indeed. We can only hope that the actual implementation will
somehow take care of this, but I don't see it in the API.

BTW, the 'account chooser' is this:

https://developers.google.com/android/google-play-services/reference/com/google/android/gms/common/AccountPicker