On Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:51:49 AM UTC+2, Terry wrote:

> Two of my apps have been removed from the Google Play Store, (a free/trial
> version and a pro version of the same app).
>
> A developer of a similar app asked for them to be removed. The reason for
> removal was given as “Alleged copyright infringement (according to the
> terms of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act).
>
> Can it really be THIS easy to remove a competitor’s apps?

Yes.

> Without any consequences?

Yes

> Or is there something I have misunderstood?

No, apparently it's how these things work.

Consider this:
1. Some chinese dude snatches open source app from Google Play and
repackages it with ads
2. Dude publishes this repackaged app on Google Play
3. Dude sends fake DMCA takedown notice against original developer
4. Original application gets taken down by Google
5. Profit for the chinese dude
6. Original author can't do anything, tries to republish his app, gets
permanently banned from Play Store by Google

I'm guessing this happens all the time. So it looks like abusing DMCA is
perfectly valid and profitable business model.

Any reason you have not issued fake DMCA takedown notice against your
oppressor?

Hope you'll somehow be able to get your apps back. Wish you luck.