As far as I understand, these guys can remove any apps from the Play Store
with minimal (or no?) risk for themselves – and there is nothing we can do
about it. The next time they may remove *your or mine* apps!

Even worse, if they remove another app from you, then Google will probably
also remove your developer’s account, as they will claim that you have done
a copyright violation more than once!

I have heard that the content of a DMCA complaint and a DMCA counter
notification does not matter much. Such emails are probably not even read
by humans at all. (Can that be right?). The only thing that matters, is if
the “complainant” afterwards sends a notification that he intends to take
the matter to court. Then the requested material is removed – regardlessly.
As a court case can be very expensive, it is of course tempting for an app
developer to skip it, and only say that the plans a court case. But that is
abusing the DMCA takedown system, if I have understood it right.

I think it is pretty sad that we have come to this, that there are
developers who use mafia like methods, and that Google does not seem to be
interested in doing anything about it.

Now that we know about at least one developer who seems to have abused the
DMCA takedown system again and again, I would had hoped  that Google could
have a closer look at him, and make him pay the consequences. I think that
it is his apps and his account which deserve to be removed. (It should not
be too difficult to verify whether he has filed court cases or not.)

*
http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/owners/12173/Zero-Noise-Apps/
*<http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/owners/12173/Zero-Noise-Apps/>

This developer is now cashing in, with his paid app currently high on the
“Recommended for you” list of the Google’s Play Store. Made possible by
getting rid of competitors, abusing the DMCA takedown system. This is not
something Google should be proud of.