Yes, the EditText has an android:id.  I've found this problem with a
variety of EditText and AutoCompleteTextView configurations, but only when
the system Screen lock setting is set to 'None'.  Everything works fine
when it's set to Slide or Pattern, so I suspect that the lack of a screen
lock is the source of this problem.  Though if possible, I would like to
find a way to work around this, as the Message app seems to be able to do.